Colorful Quinoa Bowl (Recipe)
So as of last month (Month) I've been focusing on eating more plant-based meals.
I have not officially committed to vegetarianism or veganism but I have committed to eating more meatless meals during the week.
While this dietary change is more for me than for Danny, he does what he can to support this shift and has even gone meatless a time or three with me. This Colorful Quinoa Bowl is one of those meals Danny opted to join in on, even sans meat.
This bowl is healthy, satisfying, and naturally flavorful. And it's a great base in the event you Do want to add meat, or any other veggies.
Sliced Red Onion
1. Cook Brown Rice and Quinoa according to the directions on the individual package. (I seasoned the Quinoa with paprika, black pepper, and garlic.)
2. Sautée the Spinach with the Garlic and Red Onions.
3. Heat the black beans and corn on the stove.
4. Layer your bowl - I put brown rice at the bottom, next I added the quinoa. In one corner I added the sautéed spinach and garlic and red onion. In another corner I added the corn. In another corner I added the black beans. In the final corner I added the sliced avocado.
Because this is such a basic recipe, there are a number of ways to customize it and make it your own:
- Season the black beans and/or corn according to your preference
- Top the bowl with SALSA for even more color! (I added salsa to mine but was too busy eating to remember to take a picture.)
- Substitute the Spinach with Kale or use both!
- You could skip the brown rice altogether
- Black beans and Quinoa are great sources of protein, which is especially important when cutting out meat, which is a common protein source in meals